I took a little break from blogging (oh well, it is also know as procrastination) but now I am back and ready to finish writing about our Easter meal. Today I am sharing my recipe of pork roll with apples - some people asked about it on Facebook - here you go my friends.
This is a simple recipe that everyone will enjoy. It was one of my favorites back in Russia but I had never cooked it here in the States before Easter: the end of Lent seemed the perfect reason to treat everybody to this delicious meal. What I like about pork that it is very cooking time saving and yummy both hot and cold.
Normally for this recipe I use pork tenderloin. It should be fresh (unfrozen stuff doesn't taste the same) so I went shopping for it just the day before Easter and saw a wonderful piece of pork on a bone and could not stop getting it. It was more than I needed for the dish so I divided it in two parts - one for the roll and the rest I just kept on the bone - seasoned with salt and pepper and larded with fresh garlic it had sat foil covered in the oven for about an hour and had turned into juicy and well cooked meat that was later used in pork fried rice (you can also use it for salads or as part of the main dish).
Pork roll with apple stuffing
Ingredients (serve 4):
- 2 lb (1 kg) pork tenderloin
- 4 slices of white bread (2 day-fresh stuff works the best)
- 2 apples
- 1 onion bulb
- 1 lemon zest
- 4 tbs vegetable oil
- salt, pepper
- Chop onion finely.
- Peel apples and chop into small pieces.
- Preheat a pan with 1-2 tbs vegetable oil and fry onion until golden.
- Add apples and cook over medium-heat until tender (do not fry!).
- Preheat the oven to 480F (250C).
- Cut off bread crust and break bread flesh into small pieces.
- In a small mixing bowl (or small jar) mix salt, pepper and the remaining vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle the mix over the bread and put in the oven for 10-15 min until toasted.
- In food processor combine apples with onion and toasted bread. Crush well.
- Cut meat in a spiral so it turns into a long bed.
- Place the stuffing in the middle of the meat and make the roll. Fix it with bamboo skewers or silicone band.
- Cover with lemon zest.
- Roast in the oven for 10 min, then reduce to 320F (160C) and roast for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve hot with mashed potato and stewed broccoli. Enjoy!
|Ready to go into the oven|
|Roasted pork roll|
|Sliced and ready to be served|